These twelve stesps and principles are guidelines for members of Internet and Technology Addiction Anonymous to live by. We can recognize and overcome living issues by using the twelve steps and/or principles. If you choose to embrace these traditions and principles into your life, it will get better, no matter what you are having a problem with.
- HONESTY AND ACCEPTANCE: Admit that you, or yourself, are powerless to overcome your addictions and that your life has become unmanageable.
- HOPE: Come to believe that your life can be balanced and your health can be restored.
- TRUST: Decide to turn your will and your life over to a trusted other and be willing to ask for help.
- TRUTH: Make a searching and fearless written moral inventory of yourself.
- INTEGRITY: Admit to yourself and to another human being the exact nature of your wrongs.
- CHANGE OF HEART: Become entirely ready to work on and remove all your character defects.
- HUMILITY: Be willing to address and change your shortcomings.
- BROTHERLY LOVE: Make a written list of all persons you have harmed and become willing to make restitution to them.
- RESTITUTION AND RECONCILIATION: Wherever possible, make direct restitution to all persons you have harmed, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Continue to take personal inventory, and when you are wrong promptly admit it.
- PERSEVERANCE: Continue to take personal inventory and when we are wrong, promptly admit it.
- SERVICE AND SPIRITUALITY: Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, share this message with others who excessively use technology and practice these principles in all you do.
Note: The Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous have been adapted for Internet and Technology Addiction. A.A. is not affiliated with Internet Addiction Anonymous as A.A. is a program of recovery from alcoholism only.