12 Steps and Principles for Internet & Technology Addiction Recovery
These twelve steps and principles are guidelines for members of Internet and Technology Addiction Anonymous to live by. We can recognize and overcome living issues by using the twelve steps and/or principles. If you choose to embrace these steps and principles into your life, it will get better, no matter what you are having a problem with.
- HONESTY. Admit that you, or yourself, are powerless to overcome your addictions and that your life has become unmanageable.
- HOPE. Come to believe that the power greater than ourselves can restore you to health.
- TRUST: Decide to turn your will and your life over to the care of your higher power as you understand it.
- TRUTH: Make a searching and fearless written moral inventory of yourself.
- INTEGRITY: Admit to yourself, to your higher power, and another human being the exact nature of your wrongs.
- CHANGE OF HEART: Become entirely ready to have your higher power remove all your character defects.
- HUMILITY: Humbly ask your higher power to remove your shortcomings.
- BROTHERLY LOVE: Make a written list of all persons you have harmed and become willing to make restitution to them.
- RESTITUTION AND RECONCILIATION: Wherever possible, make direct restitution to all persons you have harmed, except when to do so would injure them or others.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Continue to take personal inventory, and when you are wrong promptly admit it.
- PERSEVERANCE: Continue to take personal inventory and when we are wrong, promptly admit it.
- SERVICE AND SPIRITUALITY: Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, share this message with others who excessively use technology and practice these principles in all you do.
Note: The Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous have been adapted for Internet and Technology Addiction. A.A. is not affiliated with Internet Addiction Anonymous as A.A. is a program of recovery from alcoholism only.